Thursday, September 5, 2013

Book Review 17: Hopeless


Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.


*The Break Down:

There are no words.

Once in awhile a book comes along that is so powerful and emotional every single cell in your body screams with tears and laughter and happiness. Hopeless is that book.

There isn't a single thing about this book that I didn't love. It was wonderful, mesmerizing, spell-binding, heartbreaking and breathtaking all at the same time. I couldn't for one second put it down while I was reading it. I loved the MOST of the character, their sense of humor and their roles in the story and I loved the amazing writing style of the author Colleen Hoover. I found myself wanting to highlight almost every passage in it because the words were so beautiful and perfectly chosen. Hopeless was absolutely one of the best books I've read in 2013.

Meet Sky. She's not our average character. She's the kind of girl that doesn't have a Facebook account, doesn't own a cellphone and doesn't have a TV in their house. She's so isolated to technology that she thought the meaning of LOL was lots of love. She's the kind of girl that feels numb whenever she's making out with guys. She's also the kind of girl that doesn't cry and doesn't know the feeling of lust. But all of that changed the moment she met Holder.

Oh Holder * Pause to swoon, Welcome to the league of book boyfriends Holden.

“Fuck all the firsts, Sky. The only thing that matters to me with you are the forevers.” 

I was a goner; after this scene. Their love story is definitely different from all the contemporary stories that I've read. It was real, it was heartbreaking, it's definitely tragic yet it was strikingly  beautiful. I don't know how Colleen created this story or how she got this idea...

...but THANK YOU FICTIONAL GODS ABOVE. 

Now, the plot. 

It was unthinkable and screwed up yet beautiful and magical. I do have to say that it was much darker than I had expected, Hopeless is a harsh read that will clobber your heart, leaving you bloody and broken. While I did guess at a lot of the events that would occur, this novel still left me disturbed and shocked, even when I did know what was coming. It's the kind of story that is meant to leave you flabbergasted by the sudden twist of events The last half of the novel delivers some violently emotional scenes that displays exactly what kind of talent Colleen possesses to be able to embed so much power into the written word. I'm telling you, some of it took my breath away--I literally had the urge to look away until it passed, not because of anything gory (though one part is a little bit), but because of how much pain it entails. I was not expecting so much heartbreak from such a pretty blue skied cover.

The opening chapters of this book book lead you to believe that the plot will be fairly similar to an epic romance. A boy meets girl kind of thing... NOPE!

There are SO MANY twists and turns, that will leave your jaw on your lap!

Over all, Hopeless was wonderful, mesmerizing, spell-binding, heartbreaking and breathtaking all at the same time. I couldn't for one second put it down while I was reading it. Colleen possesses a unique ability to embed so much power into the written word. If your the kind of reader exploring the New-Adult, You are sure you fall head over heels for Hopeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment