Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Book Review #3 Shatter Me



Straight From The Reader Mouth. 
One Read  At a Time.
Book Review #3 
Shatter Me by Tahareh Mafi


The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

                      Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.  
-Goodreads.com


* The Break Down:


I just want to start by saying holy-mother-of-all-thing-awesome
This book honestly deserves a category of its own. 

When I started reading this book, I thought I was diving into another Twilight or Hunger Games series but I was pleasantly surprised. Let me say No one will ever read a book with the same writing style as Tahareh.

If you’re looking for a novel, YOU HAVE FOUND IT! This book is a mesmerizing debut,of heart-stopping action and a swoon-worthy romance. Shatter me is a forget-your-homework, and quit-your-job on-sit read.


The Writing. *(Pause for effect) 

Reading though this book is like being addicted to nicotine, you get addicted so quickly and there is no substitute that can possibly be as powerful and filling as it is.

Call me dramatic but seriously,

This book was just as just as unique as Tahareh name. When started reading, I found it odd how many of Juliet's thoughts were marked out, but as I continued to read I found that those were the parts I fascinated by. The crossed out words gave a way Juliet's real thoughts, and the lack of grammar made her seem human and relatable to the condition she was in. And let me just say it worked!


Another thing I absolutely loved was that EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER in this novel had layers. It's like the most interesting onion you will ever see.

Warner, for instance. I hated this dude. I hated his so much, he's as young and creepy as they come, almost like professor Moriarty, from Sherlock Holmes, except worse! Yeah I know, how can you be creeper then Moriarty.. How do you achieve that?

Even so, I'm reading this book and thinking "what this hell is wrong with this kid" then suddenly I sympathize for him? …and then I understand him! WHAT? Then I start to question if he's good gu…Not okay.

Then there’s Adam * Pause to swoon. Who was terribly frustrating and impressive character to understand. It is extremely hard for an author to make a reader indecisive on how they feel about a character right away. First Adam walks in to her cell and takes Juliet's bed from her making her sleep on the floor, jerk-face. Then he's writes her that note and it’s like I'm in love.

Now Juliet, she not this frail female character that constantly needs helped. She just doesn't give in to what others want and I love it. She's not swayed by power, selfishness or by fear. She's just so kick-ass. It was refreshing to see a character with absolutely nothing, build up upon doubts and fear and become a strong, powerful character.

Over all, Tahereh's writing was so fluent, her characters were remarkably defined and let’s just get it got there in the open, the plot was SEXY as hell. 
Now here are some awesome things I found: 



Adam oh Adam.



Lets just stare.


Cover remake!

No comments:

Post a Comment