Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Book Review #4 Obsidian


Straight From The Reader Mouth. 
One Read  At a Time.
Book Review #4
Obsidian by  Jennifer Armentrou
(Lux Series #1)



When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is.
        -Goodreads.com


* The Break Down:

Let’s just start by saying, truth be told actually building up the momentum to read Obsidian probably took longer then it took me to finish the book. Starting the Lux Series was hard, for one reason and one reason alone, I was extremely skeptical on what to expect. I mean seriously aliens, REALLY?

... Haven’t they stretched the whole paranormal thing a little to thin? 

I idea of “little green men with big eyes and spindly arms … or giant insects or something like a lumpy little creature” really didn't do it do it for me.

Sweet Baby Jesus, did Daemon Black change that for me.

To my shock and dismay Obsidian turned out to be better then I could have imagined. For those of you like me, who have overlooked the Lux Series on a shelf for whatever reason; I'm here to tell you back up and pick that mother up!

Katy is a kick-ass main character. She is witty, funny, and knows how to hold her own. I loved Katy as female lead character. 
Why you might ask?

Well, first of all, she loves books and blogging. It's not often when you get a kick-ass female lead who reads and blogs right?

Also she is not like the YA fiction characters we are so used to reading about that are so dependent on their guys. Katy is 100% NOT a push-over character. Does she get trampled and stomped on? Sure. But does she know how to throw it right back? HELL YES. She's not swayed or knocked down and her strength was surprising. 

Now let’s talk about Daemon Black * (Pause to swoon)

“So the dickhead had a name. Daemon—seemed fitting. And of course his sister would be as attractive as him. Why not? Welcome to West Virginia, the land of lost models.” 

Daemon’s character for me was so out of this world!
... Seriously since technically he is really from out of this world.
 Daemon comes across as an obnoxious, rude, arrogant, mean and in Katy's words, as a totally stab worthy non-human being. But he also was protective, funny and lets just be clear; a total babe. Daemon's bad boy personality is an act that makes him unapproachable and unfriendly, which is the way he prefers to live. But in reality it's a lie. 

“I've always found that the most beautiful people, truly beautiful inside and out, are the ones who are quietly unaware of their effect." His eyes searched mine intently, and for a moment we stood there toe to toe. "The ones who throw their beauty around, waste what they have? Their beauty is only passing. It's just a shell hiding nothing but shadows and emptiness.”
 -Daemon Black

If you’re looking for a I-just-rolled-off-the-couch-laughing-so-hard, I-think-my-heart-just-burst-into-a-thousand-sheds type of book, than I definitely recommend this book to you. I found that the characters were well developed, the dialogue was funny as hell and the plot was driven. Readers will thoroughly enjoy Katy and Daemon’s journey and will be left wanting more at the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment